Woohoo, it’s Hype or Like Friday again! This meme and Goodreads group were created by myself, Jill @ Rant and Rave Books, and Britt @ Geronimo Reads. To join our group and find out more information about what it’s all about, please go to our Goodreads page HERE.
October’s BOTM is Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. The weekly topics this month are whichever ones we want to choose from a list of ideas that our members came up with. They are all so much fun!
- Answer the weekly discussion topic.
- Optional: Discuss your chosen hyped book of the week.
- Optional: Talk about your progress on the BOTM.
TOPIC OF THE WEEK (that I chose): “There’s Something Under The Bed” – Your favorite/least favorite book monsters or human beings that are scary, creepy, or just plain give you the heebie-jeebies.
Let me start this off by saying that I do not really read any horror or scary novels to have a whole lot of options in the scary monsters department. I’m not really sure how to classify my choices. Let’s just say they’re a bit on the eclectic side…
- Dolores Umbridge, The Harry Potter series – Puhleezeeee, Voldemort is a walk in the park compared to this evil and sadistic devil. Whenever she shows up in the book or has a scene in the movie, the hairs on the back of my neck will stand up. Say what you will, but I think Umbridge was the true villain in the Harry Potter series and you cannot convince me otherwise.
- Black Jack Randall, Outlander series – This is the last man I want anywhere even near my bed, let alone below it. How someone can be so sick and twisted is literally beyond my comprehension. If you haven’t read this series or watched the tv show, you really really need to. Randall is one of the most complex villains that I’ve ever read about. Plus, Tobias Menzie’s portrayal of him on the show deserves a Golden Globe. Fantastic.
- The Insidious Humdrum, Carry On – I’ll be honest, I’m less scared of the Humdrum and more just really creeped out. I just picture this strange kid who just seems empty of emotions or a conscience, like a sociopath. He just stands there bouncing this damn red ball up and down and stares at you…. Ugh, I just gave myself the chills.
- AIDAN, The Illuminae Files series – AIDAN just might be both the scariest and yet the most interesting villain ever. I mean, what’s scarier than a psychopathic AI in total control of the spaceship that you are stranded on? I can’t really think of anything… CLOWNS! Except maybe clowns. Yeah, clowns might be scarier but that’s it.
That was a pretty random list, wasn’t it? I’m strange, I know.
What are some of the scariest/creepiest monsters or people that you would have on your list? Do you agree with any of my choices? What does your Hype or Like Friday look like?